The PICS News Scan is a weekly summary of the major climate-change related science, technology, and policy advances of direct relevance to the BC provincial and Canadian federal governments and more generally to Canadian businesses, government and civil society. Download the News Scan for 25 October 2011 produced by ISIS, Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia in partnership with the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS).
Complementing the news scan is the PICS Briefing Note Service. This service provides timely and concise analysis, as well as suggested policy action, on issues related broadly to BC climate change mitigation and adaptation.
This week’s news scan includes:
Research Theme I: The low carbon emissions economy
- California to proceed with cap and trade
- US study suggests pricing carbon from ground to consumer
- Best practices to bring low-carbon solutions to market
Research Theme II: Sustainable communities
- Climate-driven migration challenge underestimated
Research Theme III: Resilient ecosystems
- US rivers and streams saturated with carbon
- El Niño and climate change in the coming century
Research Theme IV: Social mobilization
- UNESCO, UNEP release guidebook on climate change