Senior Program Officer, Agriculture and Food Security Position #: 822 Location: Ottawa, Canada Salary Range (CAD): $83,685 – $100,825 Duration: Indeterminate Closing Date: 16/05/10
The Agriculture and Food Security (AFS) program supports research to increase production and incomes from small-scale farming, while contributing food to rural and urban consumers. The Canadian International Food Security Research Fund, a collaborative program of the International Development Research Centre and the Canadian International Development Agency, is an integral component of the AFS program. AFS finances applied research initiatives that seek to solve immediate and concrete food security challenges on the ground in the developing world.
Based in Ottawa, Canada and reporting to the Program Manager, the Senior Program Officer will contribute to programme development to develop projects within the priority areas by reviewing, developing, monitoring, managing and evaluating research projects; and liaising and maintaining productive working relationships with grantees, researchers and government institutions.
· PhD preferred with a record of research and publication in a relevant discipline associated with agricultural or rural economics in developing regions of the world.
This position requires five to eight years relevant experience, which includes:
· Conducting and managing research projects from project design to project implementation and evaluation in developing regions
· Establishing and building partnerships
· Capacity building activities
· Communicating research and research results to different audiences including the Canadian and international research and development community
· Significant work experience in developing countries
Note: Candidates with more experience may be considered for appointment at the level of Senior Program Specialist (CA $88,994 – CA $111,243).
· Bilingual position (English/French) at an intermediate level
Strong knowledge of agriculture and food security issues in developing countries, with particular expertise in one or more of the following areas:
· Knowledge of procedures used by international funders
· Knowledge of organizations and institutions working on related topics
· Understanding of research methods and approaches, including strategies for effectively communicating research results and linking research to policy
· Knowledge of the economics of food and agriculture
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
· Strong planning, organization, problem-solving, coordination and negotiation skills
· Ability to work as a member of a virtual team and under pressure
· Ability to establish, manage, guide and monitor relationships with diverse stakeholders
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team of people from diverse cultures, expertise and experiences
· Ability to provide specialized advice and guidance to external contacts
· Ability to work from a people centered perspective
· Awareness of and sensitivity to individual, gender and cultural differences
This position involves travel of 60 – 90 days per year.
For more information regarding primary duties or responsibilities, view Job Details.
How to apply:
Go to the IDRC Careers website: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA9/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IDRC&cws=1&rid=67