on February 05th, 2016
Job Posting: Administrative Assistant
1 year term (Maternity Leave Replacement)
Closing Date: February 22, 2016
PCIC is seeking to hire an Administrative Assistant.
Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC)
The Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC) was created to assess climate impacts in Pacific North America. The goals of the Consortium are to foster collaborative research, to strengthen the capacity to address regional climate change and variability, and to provide the scientific basis for development of policy. PCIC links scientific research and applications, researchers and users/stakeholders, and geophysical sciences and climate centres in Pacific North America. The Consortium supports the development of adaptation options and long-term planning to reduce vulnerability to climate variability, climate change, and extreme weather events. http://www.PacificClimate.org
Challenge and Nature of Work
The Administrative Assistant works closely with the Director, the Lead for Planning & Operations and the Webmaster/Editor to facilitate a multi-disciplinary team of scientists to carry out an applied scientific program focused on providing regional climate services to stakeholders. The position is central to the functioning of PCIC through providing administrative and travel support to the PCIC staff, consolidating and maintaining financial records and staff records, and providing general administrative support.
Working under the supervision of the Lead, Planning & Operations, and supporting the Director, the incumbent supports all aspects of administrative functions of the office and helps to achieve a successful and thriving organization.
The primary accountabilities are as follows:
- Arranges travel for Director in compliance with organization guidelines, budget restrictions and personal preferences and prepares travel claims
- Compiles documents for meetings/travel as needed by Director
- Maintains calendar including scheduling appointments, meetings and travel
- Prepare documents/forms as required by Director
- Answers the main PCIC telephone and redirects calls as needed
- Manage PCIC general email account and forward incoming emails to the appropriate staff
- Acts as a central courier, receiver and sender
- Orders supplies, monitors inventory and ensures supply areas are tidy and well organized
- Works with UVic facilities and staff to plan, order and organize office equipment, furniture, and phones. Maintains inventory of furniture, computer equipment and software
- Prepare for recruiting and hiring of new staff
- Organizes logistics within the university system for new employees including NetLink, benefits and direct deposit as well as within the office environment: mail, phone, office space and supplies
- Provide basic travel support to PCIC staff
- Tracks staff leave time and prepare year end leave summaries
- Work with Management to prepare annual Corporate Report and other documents
- Prepares administrative forms for signature and processing
- Prepares travel expenses reports, cheque requisitions, purchasing agreements etc.
- Maintains spreadsheet to track travel costs, payments and reimbursements
- Reconciles all financial accounts with hard/digital copies, maintains financial documentation files and prepares quarterly journals to project accounts
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation and account summary
- Work with Management to prepare the Fiscal Year End documents for audit
- Works with management to schedule, coordinate and support meetings including those of the Board of Directors and Program Advisory Committee
- Maintains and updates PCIC SharePoint Site
- Organizes logistics for Pacific Climate Seminar Series and other seminars
- Work with Management to plan and organize workshops and events
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Post-secondary education.
- Familiarity with the UVic systems and procedures.
- Familiarity with accounting principles.
- Experience working in a technical office environment.
- Strong clerical and organization skills.
- Experience with MS office, PowerPoint, SharePoint
- Excellent verbal communications skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated initiative.
- Ability to work both independently and part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Flexibility in accepting variable and diverse job assignments.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new circumstances.
1 year maternity leave replacement.
|Weekly working hours
Full-time (37.5 hours per week)
Commensurate with education and experience.
Additional information: Address enquiries to Kathy Veldhoen@ email@example.com.
Application: Please send your application with a CV, including three professional references.
Address cover letter and application to Kathy Veldhoen, firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. Please indicate whether you are legally able to work in Canada.